Monday, March 5, 2012

Thunder, lightning, and lots of rain!

The Weekend
Well, my luck did in fact NOT hold out--there was much rain on Friday and through the night, so no soccer on Saturday. But, that was alright because I took my beautiful nieces, E and R, to see The Lorax. They were quite excited :)

R (5 yrs old) on the left, and E (7 yrs old--and a snaggle-tooth) on the right
I also used the weekend to continue working on my quilt. I completed all appliques and began the process of embroidering the details. So my fingers are now quite sore--both from the hand applique and the embroidery. I'm far from finished with the embroidery, so I think I'll take a few days' break and allow my fingers to recuperate!

Here's a peek at the embroidery...one lily pad, all done!


 A little bit of life

Were my Mamaw (my great-grandmother) still alive--she went home to be with Jesus in 2008 at the ripe old age of 93 and a half years--you could visit her little house and hear lots of interesting stories about all kinds of people from back in the day. You could also see the rocking chair in which she did most, if not all, of her crocheting and hand sewing. And if you turned that chair to look at the right-hand side, you'd see a veritable cornucopia of pins and needles. She would work on something, usually crocheting around the edges of wash cloths or hemming a pair of pants she'd bought, and then stick the pins and needles in the side of the chair. I can't remember a time when this wasn't the case.

I tell you all of that to show you this...
my "pin cushion"
Yes--there is no doubt about it--I am my Mamaw! :)  At least when it comes to sticking my pins in the furniture. Granted, my pins and needles do eventually make it back to their proper resting place, but I still had to laugh at myself when I realized what gets passed down from generation to generation. 

I think Mamaw would be pleased to know that I'm still quilting (from time to time) and crocheting, since she is the one who taught me both.

Some new goodies!

I got two new goodies to help me with my craftiness! And BOTH were 40% off!!! I LOVE getting things on sale, don't you?!?

While trying to iron the 3/16" seam allowance on my first lily pad the other night, I just about burned my hand off. All I had at that time was my regular Rowenta iron--a big hunk of a thing that is not very conducive to ironing 3/16" seam allowances! Then I ran across this wonderful little thing on someone's quilting blog--a mini iron. Now, I don't know what this says about me, but I had no idea that such a thing existed! I had to have one!

So after work Friday, I braved the rain (well, the sprinkling at that time) and went to Hobby Lobby and found this lovely little Clover Mini Iron! And since I had a 40% off coupon, I left Hobby Lobby very happy! :)

clover mini iron

I then went over to Michael's, for which I also had a 40% off coupon, to look for a craft light. Imagine my delight when I found that ALL of the OttLites were already marked down by 40%!! (I have a lot of !! in this post...) So now I can iron teeny tiny seam allowances and actually SEE what I'm doing while stabbing myself in the fingers with sharp little needles. *grin*

new OttLite!! (just ignore the messy side table)
Last, but not least...

I would like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! to my Daddy. Today is his birthday, but I won't tell how old he is--just in case he's sensitive about that kind of stuff :)

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, 
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11 




No comments:

Post a Comment