Saturday, April 7, 2012

You Better Belize It!

Hahaha!!  I just had to put that as the title of this post because it's such a cheesy little phrase--but of course it's everywhere in Belize. Which is where I went on vacation. Or holiday for you Brits reading this ;)

As I said before, my parents live in Belize, just outside of the capitol, and I go down every year for a week plus a couple days. I did not get to go last year, so I have been DYING to get back!!

Having said that, this post will mostly be some pictures. I don't have the snorkeling pics yet, but when I do get them back, I'll be sure to post them.

Enjoy!
These are the boys at the school my parents run in Belize. Those are my parents in the middle--Lyle and Rose.

This is my dad again and Pastor Frankie. Frankie is now the director of the school, and this is the symbolic handing over of the keys. Frankie actually was in the first graduating class of the school back in the 80s. If you haven't visited Global's website from my other post, please take a look here-->GOBVT.



Just some of the loveliness of Belize. The first pic--I have no idea what kind of flower that is, but it grows beside the sidewalk on the way to the dining hall of the school. The hibiscus grows outside my mom's office (and everywhere else--by their house, beside the sidewalks, etc). And the last pic up there is my parents' front yard taken from the porch.

My mom, Rose--standing on the front porch of their house.

A wild papaya tree in the yard. They are also pretty much all over the place.

Some type of tiny orchids growing on the side of a tree by one of the houses on campus. Pretty huh?

Speaking of orchids, below are the black orchids (which I believe are the national flower of Belize) growing on a piece of an old stump at the bottom of the steps up to my parents' porch.

And next are just ONE of the many bunches of bananas that grow around my parents' house. This one is at the back corner just outside of the window of the room in which I stayed...
 

This lovely is the newest addition to the guard dog fleet. Full-bred Rottweiler named Toby. He's 4 months old. I do NOT want to see him full grown!!--he's gonna be HUGE!! Right now though, he mostly can just lick you to death *grin* 

The schoolhouse at GOBVT. Three classrooms, a library (center) that doubles as another classroom, and a computer lab. 

Teak trees that are planted on campus.

Now some pics from San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. The first is the view from our hotel room. *GRIN* Lovely, yes? The second pic is of a local Catholic congregation observing Palm Sunday. You can't see in the picture, but they are carrying palm fronds, headed to the Catholic church just up the road from the hotel.



Dolphins! Spotted as we made our way out to the reef to snorkel. Two here, and 3 or 4 more on the other side of the boat that wouldn't come up for us.

I had a wonderful time and hope that I get to go back at some point. My parents will be moving back to the states in July, so it might be a while...

Hope you enjoyed the pictures! I'd love to hear from you, so please leave your comments below!

And have a very happy Easter, remembering the true reason we have this HOLYday.

Live a life filled with love, 
following the example of CHRIST. 
He loved us and offered himself 
as a SACRIFICE for us, 
a pleasing aroma to God.
 Ephesians 5:2

No comments:

Post a Comment